"The world of African football is in turmoil as troubling questions emerge behind the scenes of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) and the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA). The attribution of the African Cups of Nations ( CAN) for the years 2025 and 2027 has recently come under scrutiny, highlighting allegations of manipulation, interference and concerns over the transparency of the selection process. The scandal surrounding these allocations raises fundamental questions about the independence of CAF, the growing influence of FIFA and the destiny of African football.
In this article, we will delve into the heart of this controversy which is shaking African football, revealing the behind-the-scenes decisions, the doubts regarding the candidacies, and the concerns over the growing influence of FIFA. In addition, we will inform you about an ongoing investigation, launched more than three years ago by the Integrity and Investigations department of the OMSAC (World Anti-Corruption Security Organization), in collaboration with the International Sports Anti-Corruption Federation, which could potentially be a game-changer in this complex matter.
As the world of football in Africa awaits answers and action, it is time to lift the veil on the manipulation, interference, and issues shaping the future of the continent's most popular sport. Welcome to the era of FIFA scandal in Africa.”
“Before exploring in depth the underside of this scandal, let us recall that from the first signs of interference and manipulation in the process of awarding CAN 2025 and 2027, OMSAC had raised concerns and denounced these worrying practices. Our preliminary analysis already highlighted the growing influence of FIFA over African football and the potential consequences of this situation on the independence of the Confederation of African Football (CAF). Today, we return to these initial findings, by providing new revelations that reinforce our concerns. The ongoing investigation that we initiated more than three years ago takes on vital importance, because it could shed light on gray areas and reveal the extent of questionable practices that have tainted the selection process."
CAN 2022: Fifa's arrangements in Africa, between sleight of hand, parachuted leaders, and remote supervision How the OMSAC investigation revealed behind the scenes of FIFA's influence in Africa
Analysis of the OMSAC Integrity & Investigations department
1. Gianni Infantino and his controversies:
- The report highlights that Gianni Infantino, FIFA president, has been involved in several controversies, including the proposed biennial World Cup and his alleged role in the Super League.
- It is mentioned that Infantino made controversial statements during an intervention at the Council of Europe, drawing criticism for his plan for more frequent World Cups.
- The report suggests that Infantino often uses African football to achieve his goals, both financial and political.
2. Africa's role in the FIFA elections:
- The report highlights the importance of Africa as a voting bloc for the FIFA elections, with its 54 member federations.
- He mentions that Gianni Infantino sought to strengthen his power in Africa by placing Patrice Motsepe, a South African billionaire, at the head of CAF.
3. The controversies surrounding the election of Patrice Motsepe:
- The report suggests that the election of Patrice Motsepe as CAF president was surrounded by controversy, including maneuvers by middlemen and promises of positions in exchange for the withdrawal of competing candidates.
- He also raises concerns about FIFA's supervision over CAF, where FIFA agents appear to take control of many tasks.
4. Impact on the organization of the African Cup of Nations:
- The report criticizes the impact of FIFA supervision on the organization of the African Cup of Nations (CAN), highlighting organizational and controversial problems linked to COVID-19 tests and referees.
- He suggests that FIFA plays an increasingly dominant role in the management of African football, which may compromise the independence of CAF.
5. Call for autonomy and revolt:
- The report concludes by suggesting that certain African federations could be at the origin of a revolt movement to regain control of their football.
- It is emphasized that the potential exists, but many African leaders use football for influence and financing purposes.
In summary, the report highlights concerns about the way Gianni Infantino and FIFA interact with African football, including placing executives close to FIFA at the helm of CAF. He also raises concerns about FIFA's oversight of CAF affairs, which could compromise the independence of African football's governing body. Finally, the report calls for a reaction from African federations to regain control of their football and avoid excessive external influence.
“Decisions made at FIFA level, particularly in relation to the management of CAF, have the potential to shape the future of football in Africa in their own ways for purely business and political reasons, and to influence the choice of candidate countries to organize the African Cup of Nations (CAN). This delicate situation is closely monitored by public opinion, which is demanding transparency and accountability in the management of African football. For more than three years , the Integrity and Investigations department of the OMSAC, in collaboration with the International Anti-Corruption Sports Federation chaired by the Franco-Senegalese Daly Ndiaye, is conducting an in-depth investigation into practices within CAF. This investigation aims to reveal any manipulation or potential corruption that could impact the integrity of the sport. The whole world has already had a glimpse of the serious manipulations and scandals within CAF, before, during and after the African Cup of Nations which took place held in Cameroon. The matter is being closely monitored and we remain committed to promoting justice and integrity in international sport."